20 April 2012
We are deeply saddened by the news of the death of Professor Sir Paul Callaghan. Sir Paul was one of New Zealand’s most outstanding scientists and science communicators, and was a long standing Fellow of the NZIP. He received many awards recognising his scientific brilliance, including the inaugural Dan Walls Medal of the NZIP. Among his many achievements was to bring the importance of science to New Zealand’s future firmly into the public eye. He will be sorely missed, but his legacy will continue to inspire us all.
23 December 2011
The Dan Walls medal is awarded by the New Zealand Institute of Physics to the physicist working in New Zealand for at least the past ten years who is deemed to have made the greatest impact, both nationally and internationally, in his/her field of research. This year the prize is awarded to Industrial Research Ltd Distinguished Scientist Professor Jeffery Tallon. More…
19 December 2011
RSNZ Summary Published
The Royal Society of New Zealand has published a “Summary of Royal Society of New Zealand engagement with Government and Parliament in 2011”. This is their report to constituent organisations. Click here to download the summary as a PDF.
28 August to 1 September 2011
IQEC/CLEO Pacific Rim 2011 Conference at Sydney, Australia
This combines four major meetings in the field of lasers and their scientific and technological applications:
– The International Quantum Electronics Conference (IQEC)
– The Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) Pacific Rim
– The Australasian Conference on Optics, Lasers and Spectroscopy (ACOLS)
– The Australian Conference on Optical Fibre Technology (ACOFT)
Website: www.iqec-cleopr2011.com .
17-19 October 2011
The biennial NZIP/Physikos conference showcasing physics teaching methods and cutting-edge physics research will be held at Victoria University of Wellington from 17th – 19th October 2011. The conference theme will be “Physics in our lives”, with details are available from the conference website http://www.confer.co.nz/nzip2011/index.htm. Registration costs are $395 for full NZIP members. Physikos conferences are always interesting and will provide plenty of exciting new ideas to ensure student engagement.
Other Sources of News
The Royal Society of New Zealand is a good source of research, science and technology news.
Physics Teaching news is provided by the Education Section of the NZIP.
Visit the NCEA Physics Teachers’ Moodle.
Send NZIP your news
NZIP Members are encouraged to send information for this page. For example we are interested in,
- details of phyiscs teaching and research conferences.
- calls for submissions to government on issues where the NZIP has an interest.
- physics positions available in New Zealand for permanent or limited term;
- awards and prizes won for work in physics-related topics in New Zealand; any awards and prizes won by NZIP members;
- openings for Ph.D students and post-doctoral positions;
- relevant lectures and visitors to New Zealand;
- major research contracts won and other funding news;